Access Statement for Self Catering Holiday Cottage “Skysail”
Skysail is a detatched property located at the top of Polkirt Hill, Mevagissey just a 5/6 minute walk to Mevagissey Port and village centre. It has outstanding sea views and we believe it offers everything to those wishing for a memorable self-catering holiday.
The House sleeps up to 8 people. It is reverse living with 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms/wet rooms on the ground floor. The first floor is generous 100 sq meters of open living, kitchen, dining space. The architect designed house was completed Autumn 2014.
We look forward to welcoming you. If you have any queries or feel the need to contact the owner you can call 01684 290077 Mon – Friday 9-5 pm. You will also be provided with a mobile contact number with your arrival details.
- The nearest bus stop is at the car park in Mevagissey. It is about a mile walk to Skysail, the last part of the walk is up a steep hill, be prepared if you have luggage. Buses run from St Austell every hour during the summer, there is a choice of 3 buses. The bus station is next to the train station in the centre of town.
- The road outside the house can be busy in summer but we have double yellow lines outside the house. We benefit from having 2 parking spaces and a carport for a further car. Our parking space is tarmac and has a good surface.
- The road through Mevagissey can be hectic in summer, if you are arriving mid-summer and mid-morning or afternoon you may wish to take the road in to Mevagissey via Portmellon, it is longer but may be quicker.
- The car park is lit at night. The steps lead immediately from the parking area to the house.
Entrance to the property
- From the car park enter through the oak door on the left of the parking area. The steps to the front door are bordered by white painted walls, there is no hand rail but the wall can offer support if required.
- There are a series of steps to the front door:
- Enter through the gate after 3 paces there are 5 steps up
- There is then a platform of 2 paces & 2 further steps
- Take 2 paces and then 2 more steps up, repeat this again once.
- Then take 3 paces as the path goes to the right and take 2 more steps up. Take 4 paces and you have reached the front door.
- There is a 2” step up at the door entrance.
- The front door has a width of 28”
Hall & Stairs
- Enter the hall and you then firstly come to a large coir mat, it is around 4’ wide. The floor is then stone throughout and on one level for bathrooms and bedrooms and utility room.
- The stairs are 29.5” wide. All doors in the house are 30” wide. There are 7 steps up the main stairs when you come to a mid-landing platform where the stairs do a U turn and come back and then go up a further 6 steps to the main living area which is all flat, marble floor. There is a continual rail at 1.1 meters up the stairs on the inside of the stairway.
Lounge, Kitchen and open plan Living area
- The entire area is marble floor on one level.
- The kitchen area provides access to the rear and front patio which both have a small 4” step down. The surfaces on the patios are block tiles.
- The kitchen area has a kitchen island with high stools at the breakfast bar end which is near the garden patio.
- Opposite the stairs is the dining table. It is slate and not movable. There is ample room around the table for a wheelchair if necessary.
- The area to the right of the stairs is the lounge area. It has comfy sofas, one being leather. The furniture is not fixed in position.
- There is a log burner in the wall and a store of logs below.
- There is an abundance of lighting in the house, including ceiling, floor and lamps.
- There is a smart TV with subtitles if required, BT Sport, DVD, Apple TV, CD player and radio
- Super-fast broadband for the TV, Laptop and wi-fi.
- Telephone for UK calls only, other calls including premium rate to be paid for
- There is lots of low-level storage. There are items stored at high level which can be put at a more accessible location on request prior to arrival on request.
- All work surfaces are at standard height. Base of ovens are at 900mm height.
- As you enter the hall the bedroom configuration is symmetrical on either side. 2 bedrooms and one bathroom on either side. The bathroom to the left has the bath, w/c and wet room shower and one large sink unit. The bathroom to the right has 2 sinks, w/c and wet-room shower.
- Our beautiful bedrooms have two twin bedded rooms with large 3′ single beds and two rooms with generous super-king size beds of 6’.
- Each room has low level bedside lamps (some are touch activated).
- The rooms are white with white linen. The two bedrooms nearest the front door have one window and have free-standing wardrobes, the other bedrooms have 2 windows and fitted wardrobes with sliding doors. There is slightly more room in the bedrooms furthest from the front door. All windows have venetian blinds.
- All taps are lever operated. The bath has a water-fall tap.
- Mirrors have pull switches to operate the lights, here you can also find shave points
- There are no additional grip rails in the bathrooms.
- A pull light switch is found to the left of the doorway on entry to the bathrooms.
- Towel rail switch is at 2’ off the floor on outside wall to bathrooms.
- The washing machine and tumble dryer are both at floor level.
- A door with a 6” step down gives access to a rear courtyard which is gravelled. This would not be suitable for a wheelchair.
- There is an ice machine situated on a standard height work surface and an additional fridge at high level, this could be lowered on to the floor if required. Please request as necessary.
- Whilst all walls are white, the oak doors are dark and so offer good colour contrast.
- Mobile phone reception can be poor whilst if connected to our super-fast broadband is very good.
- The nearest A&E is St Austell
- All additional info is situated at the house in our booklet, how to work the TV, Restaurant Guide, Tide Table, Recycling
- Fire Extinguisher, First Aid Kit, Recycling Info in kitchen walk-in cupboard off the kitchen area.
- Information on appliances can be found in the middle drawer of the white side cupboard in the lounge area.
- Meet and greet will give you information on where things are and “how to use” critical items such as cooker etc.
Skysail Address: Skysail, Polkirt Hill, Mevagissey, PL26 6UX
Owner contact No. 01684 290077 Mon – Fri 9-5
The M4, M5 and M6 motorways have made travel to Cornwall simple and straighforward, while within Cornwall itself the two major holiday routes, the A30 and A38 continue to improve, with fast dual carriageways as far as Bodmin, and most of the way to Penzance. Recommended route – join the M5 to Exeter, and then take the A30 to St. Austell and then the B3273 to Mevagissey. Multi-map Google map AA Route Planner
Newquay airport website A flight to/from London takes about one hour. Please see Newquays website for up to date details of flights. Bus or taxi from Newquay to Mevagissey should take less than one hour.
Flybe operates between Gatwick and Newquay and from June 2013 Easy Jet will be flying Southend to Newquay.
Bus service between Newquay airport, Newquay and Truro. www.summercourttravel.com
The main bus station is in St. Austell, 6 miles from Mevagissey. There is a regular service between St. Austell and Mevagissey, from 7am to 11pm.
Telephone enquiries 0870 6082608 First website
Western Greyhound 01637 871 871 WesternGreyhound website
The train station is in St. Austell adjacent to the bus station. The Train Line
Telephone enquiries 08457 48 49 50 First Great Western
· National Express Coaches
Tickets – 08705 80 80 80 GoByCoach.com (remember, the nearest bus station is St. Austell)
· Local Taxi
Mevagissey Cars 07513 774529 C&C Taxis 01726 63538 St Austell Taxis 01726 66999
· Car Hire
Beech Motors – 01726 74743 Eurodrive – 01726 77737